One of the heart medicines we’ve been prescribing lately has been deep, cleansing breaths, as seen in this ritual. Clearing out the lungs, making room for new breath, while gently asking the stagnant emotions storing here to swirl and move around. It’s a great way to wake the energy of the heart chakra. Try placing both hands over your heart chakra* while breathing into this soothe-yourself breathing exercise for an extra boost of energetic love + healing.
*The heart chakra is located at the center of your chest. It covers the heart, thymus gland (which is such an important gland for the health of your immune system–hello mind + emotion connection!), the lungs, upper rib cage + vertebrae, shoulders, arms, and breasts. This chakra is responsible for signaling out to the world the things that your heart deeply desires, and is affected by all emotional conflict, which stores itself here.
Use the below visual to follow along with your breathing:
How to Perform this Soothe-Yourself Breathing Exercise:
- Sit in a comfortable position with your back straight, shoulders relaxed, and your hands gently resting on your thighs.
- Take a deep breath in, inhaling through your nose for a count of 5 seconds. Feel your belly fill with air.
- Hold your breath here for 2 seconds.
- Exhale through your mouth for 5 seconds, feeling that air deflate out of your belly until it flattens.
- Do this 2 more times, or until you feel a little more present, a little more soothed, and your lungs get a quick cleanse.
Your soothe-yourself breathing exercise is now complete.